Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Happy Birthday

This card started off so different from what it ended up being! It was always meant to follow the CAS-tastic challenge for this week by using a button - but I was originally going to have a strip of ribbon going across the card with the buttons on top of it. I bought some embroidery floss to match the inside button and then things... evolved.

Happy Birthday


These were actually found buttons in my stash of the ones that come with a new item of clothing. I'm sure everyone has a pile of these... and maybe I'm alone here, but I've never needed to use one - ever. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe less rough with my clothes, who knows :)

I used double sided sticky tape to adhere the floss to the back of the button, and then just looped it several times to make it look like a flower. I adhered the twirly bits of the tail ends with a glue stick to make them sit more or less flat, and tucked them under the top layer and added a bit of double sided tape to make them stay put.

I also combined two ink colours to make the sentiment pinky-red by inking up my stamp once with "Scarlet" and again with "Raspberry" and then putting it to the paper.

I used my Carl corner rounder (I believe it's the medium one) to make the edges on the sentiment. It was a bit of trial and error though - I must figure out a more efficient way of doing it. When I do you'll be the first to know!

Size of card: 4" square

Supplies:
Card/paper - Lexel "Sandstone" card and paper, Quill paper
Stamp - Hero Arts "Classic Messages"
Ink - Versacolor "Scarlet" and "Raspberry"
Extras - Found buttons, Sullivans embroidery floss
Tools - Fiskars paper trimmer, Scotch double-sided tape, Bostik glue stick, Carl corner rounder

Challenge: CWC007


Thanks for visiting!

7 comments:

  1. this is amazing, sooo creative and out of the box! I love your idea of the floss to create a flower! wow.....Im sure ill be CASING that idea lol

    And yes, i have loads of little tiny zip seal bags in a pot from new clothes, there so much nicer on a card than the clothing anyway! lol
    love emma xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this ... what a great flower you've created!

    Thanks for joining us in this weeks CAS-tastic Wednesday clean and simple "Buttons" card challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great card, love your flower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is an awesome technique, I like your double layer of buttons as well. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your flower, colors & design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! What a stunning card- I love it~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Found your blog through the CAS-tastic challenge (I made the top 5 with my button card too!) You really have a flair for these clean & simple cards, I'll certainly be checking back to your blog regularly to see what you come up with next. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate each and every one I receive!